Your Money and Education Debt
Published October 2012
Most Texas public school districts and almost all community and junior college districts in Texas issue local property tax-supported debt for facility construction, technology purchases and other expenses.
This report is an overview of how much debt our public and higher education institutions are carrying, highlighting trends in debt growth. It suggests information that taxpayers should get from their state and local governments before approving new debt.
Call to Action
Taxpayers should hold education leaders accountable for their spending decisions to ensure borrowed dollars are being spent efficiently and effectively. Voters should also request information from their state and local governments about existing education-related debt to help them determine whether new debt should be issued.
Filling in the Gaps
Since Your Money and Education Debt was published, we’ve compiled huge quantities of information that taxpayers should have at their fingertips. We hope you find these resources helpful.
- Debt at a Glance Profiles: Our office has compiled debt statistics on all Texas cities, counties, school districts and community college districts, as well as for Texas. You’ll find a wealth of data in each user-friendly, one-stop summary.
- Texas Public School Construction: Learn about the challenges of understanding and collecting data regarding school building projects, and uncover the costs of recent school construction around the state.
- Financial Allocation Study for Texas and the FAST Tracker Tool: Browse a wealth of in Texas public school and district information. You can compare multiple factors that affect student achievement and school spending.
Tools and Resources
- Map of Texas Public School District Debt Outstanding Per Student: See how your school district’s debt stacks up when compared to others around the state.
- Map of Texas Community and Junior College’s Debt Outstanding Per Student: Compare how Texas community and junior colleges’ debt stacks up.
- Map of Texas Public Universities and Colleges Debt Outstanding: Explore their debt outstanding and debt per student.
- Public University Debt Per System: Browse a table of debt by university system and institution.